Tuesday, April 25, 2006

On Tour With My Wife

By Mad Sweeney

Everyone buckled in? Please keep your hands and feet in the vehicle until it comes to a complete stop.

First Stop: Day 1...First words were "fuck you" when all I did was say "Hi." Little did I know that on the day I met this battle hardened woman that I would marry her. Something sort of kinky went through my brain shortly after those words were said, and I became determined. Her previous victim was left wondering why she left him when truth was, it was obvious. Punch a bull in the nose, and you're gonna get the horns.

Second Stop: The Party...We actually carried out our first conversation at a party being held by a mutual friend, one that I didn't know at the time was mutual. A beer run later, we became friends and found that we enjoyed time spent together. I was young, bold, and truthfully, looking to get laid. Which I did, but she had other plans for me...Thankfully.

Third Stop: Dating...Throughout the time we were dating, we did as two people do that are dating. We tested the waters, we drank a lot, we argued a lot, we had lots of sex, we did dumb things together and to each other. We broke up, we got back together, we broke up, we got back together. Each and every single time we realized that we may not have lots in common, but we were better together than apart. We sickened everyone with our public mushiness. Then she had to leave. In an attempt to free herself from her previous victim, she had volunteered for a tour in Korea, well before she met me. The time had come to make a decision. I couldn't let her go without a guarantee that she would come back to me. I popped the question on a bench overlooking the Cooper River in Charleston. Turns out if I didn't, she was going to. We celebrated over drinks at The Griffon on Vendue Range Rd in Charleston, and in tradition, we found a spot on the wall and placed our $1 bill with our message to the world that we were getting married.
Fourth Stop: Marriage...Our ceremony was simple and easy. Keg of beer, a simple cake, some family, a few friends, and a drunken Notary. As easy as the ceremony was, there was nothing like seeing her come down the stairs in her dress. It is a day I will never forget, simply beautiful, and nothing has changed since then. It was a beautiful night. The next day we travelled to Asheville, NC for our honeymoon. It was the start of a marriage that is beautiful, challenging and hysterical.
Fifth Stop: Korea...Tough times that year apart brought. It was a real test of love to be apart for so long so shortly after getting married, but we did it. During the two times we saw each other that year, there were tons of good memories made. Memories I think of often. Everything from partying in South Korea, to being alone together on Jekyll Island in Georgia at that little bar that the cook kept letting us sample new recipes and drink free drinks because we were the only ones there. Good times. Plenty of good times in Korea also. She has always had the ability to find friends that are more than fun to hang around with, whereas I am more reserved and shy when it comes to meeting new people. There are more stories than I can physically type that came out of Korea.
Sixth Stop: Homecoming...The day she came home was a relief. I had missed her so much that holding her and kissing her lips felt better than the night that was to come...We began planning our future. I was happy that we were finally back together. The entire time we were apart was a test of sanity. The next few years we partied and enjoyed each other, immensely.
Seventh Stop: Kiddo's...When we decided to have children, it didn't come easy. We had our fair share of problems, if not more than. But it happened, and I tell you, that is the most beautiful time to see a woman. When our son's were born, I saw a side of her that was just icing on the cake. A beauty that was blinding if you stared too long. Sort of like looking straight into the sun. The birth of our children was a blessing, and though it took two, I give her all the credit for the creation of something equally as beautiful as she is...
Eighth Stop: Mood Changes and Medical Mysteries...When she was diagnosed with Post Partum Depression after the birth of our first child, I was more worried about her than I ever could be. The whole time through it, I thought of how difficult it was to make it through being apart for a year and realized that we could make it through this, and we did. With both children. As of late, a new problem is occurring that has me worried all over again and has a new set of challenges. She tries not to worry me, but I do, since she is the only thing that I can't live without other than our children. We can't live without those two little hellions. The medical mystery continues, but I know she will be here at least.
Ninth and not even close to the final stop: Life Goes On...I could not imagine a day going by that I did not get to see her or talk to her. She is the most precious, twisted, demented, hysterical, beautiful, challenging, thing that has ever taken an interest in me...And I love her for it..More than anything...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lady Jane Scarlett said...

so sweet!! :)

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home